One of the most important actions facing a new business is hiring employees. As former CEO and author, Lawrence Bossidy stated, “I am convinced that nothing we do is more important than hiring and developing people. At the end of the day, you bet on people, not on strategies.” Even though hiring may sound daunting and might be new territory for you, move deliberately and with confidence. Hire well, knowing that your first employees will help set the tone for your business.
How to Know When to Hire
First, don’t hire in a moment of desperation. Even though you may face a mountain of work, don’t make a hasty decision that will burden you with other problems. Second, don’t hire if you don’t know what you’ll need your new hire to do. Rather, carefully determine the role, responsibilities, expectations, and compensation for your new employees. Third, don’t hire the first person who comes along; make a wise choice instead of hiring by accident.
Do move forward with hiring employees when:
- You have funds on-hand to meet your hiring needs on an ongoing basis.
- You have enough full-time work to justify the position versus part-time or freelance work.
- When the tasks to be done will generate revenues for the company: creating products or services, marketing and supporting the business.
Qualities You Want to Find in the Right Employees
It has often been said that the right people are your most important asset, so consider the following qualities when hiring employees:
- Eager and willing to learn and grow.
- Willing to accept responsibility.
- Willing to embrace your vision. Enthused about your products or services.
- Likeable and able to mix well with your team; will fit your culture.
- Exhibits integrity.
Also, carefully check references when hiring employees to ensure that the potential hires are who they say they are.
When You Want to Grow, Get Expert Financing Assistance
Contact Commercial Capital Partners based in Renton, WA for expert assistance with your business financing needs. Expert advice with financial packages tailored for you.